Thursday, May 29, 2014

LEGOs



When I was a kid, I loved playing with my LEGOs.  I didn’t have many, and mine were the basic block and flat panel varieties that would bore kids senseless today with all the cool shapes available to them, but they provided me with hours and hours and hours of creative bliss.

That sound they made clacking on the floor as I dumped them out of my cardboard box.

Those favorite pieces with the teeth marks where I used my incisors to pry them apart a thousand times.

The opaque wedge piece that ALWAYS covered the “cockpit” of my LEGO space ships.

Memories.

Whenever I went to my happy LEGO place, I quickly adopted the persona of Master Builder.  I was an architect, an expert engineer if you will.  I built and built BIG, but I never destroyed my creations.  If I assembled the world’s tallest LEGO tower (or at least the tallest one in my bedroom), I never purposefully let it topple back to earth to be smashed into smithereens.  If I built a gnarly new space ship (and I was a prolific space ship builder), my ships never crashed or blew up because mine were the good guys and the good guys always won.  Of course, I would have to disassemble my precious blocks to build new creations, but that always took place after play was over and there was never a hint of wanton destruction. 

I was a builder.

Flash forward three-and-a-half decades and I realized something today watching my boys play with their LEGOs.

Words are like LEGO’s: they should be used to build.

As an educator, I know the value of a well-placed compliment.  Few things can make a kid’s face light up like me telling them they did a great job or that I’m proud of them for working so hard.  Outside of school, I can choose the perfect word and instinctually know when to use it to make even the most stone-faced dowager positively sparkle with joy.  Phrases such as “You can do it” and “I believe in you” and “That’s beautiful” will either melt your heart or make swell with pride, and the most powerful words in the universe, “I love you,” can change the course of human history.

In watching my boys, I also realized that I failed at using those uplifting words time and time again.

The object of my failure?

My oldest son.

I have two sons, and both of them are miracles.  The older of the two, the one I affectionately call my “first-born child” on social media, was prayed for and over for years and years by many, and the day he was born is to this day one of the major high points of my life.  However, as much as I love him and adore him and would give my life for him, he is a very headstrong boy, and at eleven years old, I often question whether either one of us will see him turn twelve.  I suspect some of you have children like him and you struggle as well.  Still, it does not excuse my actions.

I am the king of tearing down my son with words.

I’m not proud of it, but I have always been hyper critical of my boy, perhaps because we’re so unalike in many ways.  I was raised to be obedient and was, for the most part, almost always so.  I never verbally questioned a decision my parents made, I worked hard in school and pushed myself to excel to make excellent grades.  I have been fiercely independent most of my life and have always had a strong work ethic having held a job of one sort or another since I was sixteen years old.  I’m “Type A” all the way and will make sure you know it not because I brag about it but because you can see the excellence in my results.

My first-born child, however, argues with us often, and it’s the norm to tell him numerous times to do something before it gets done.  He questions our decisions as a matter of procedure, he feigns helplessness due to a lack of motivation, and getting him to do something that requires hard work is like performing a root canal on yourself-- painful and nearly impossible.  Add to the mix a bad case of the “slow motions” and self-centeredness, and you can see why we butt heads.

Now before you say anything, we’ve tried every course of action you can suggest to “correct” the boy from spanking (yes, we believe in it and it has been effective in short term payoffs) to grounding to time out to the silent treatment to going on strike.  Likewise, we’ve tried the nurture approach, the let-him-set-his-own-boundaries theory, the sit-him-down-and-reason-with-him method, and a ton of positive reinforcement techniques.  Sometimes we make progress, and sometimes we take huge steps backwards.  The fact is, he is simply a stubborn and headstrong ball of “Grade A” 100% kid.

No, we are definitely not alike in many fundamental areas, and as hard as it is for me to say, that’s okay.

What is NOT okay is my biting tongue tearing him down over and over again.

While I do not call him names and I have never cursed at him, I am not kind in how I verbalize my displeasure.  I raise my voice often and “put him in his place”, which is just a diplomatic way of saying I am overbearing in my words and demeanor.  I am constantly on him to “hurry up” and “try harder”, and that is just letting him know that he is not good enough.  Instead of saying “Good job on that project,” I find myself spouting out “You could have done that part better.”  Really?  Man, am I ever a heel.

To make matters worse, for all of his negatives (and who among us doesn’t have a plethora of negatives), he is abounding in positives.  He is wonderfully artistic and draws better than any eleven-year-old I know.  He is musically gifted and can play piano beautifully and has a voice like and angel.  He is caring and nurturing with children younger than himself, a trait that usually manifests as being a great big brother.  He can be amazingly empathetic, and there are times he does something out of love or kindness or loyalty that make me practically swoon with appreciation and pride.  He’s a remarkable boy and a gift like no other.

So why can’t I see and remember the good when I’m faced with the difficult?

Perhaps it’s because I was never good enough to my step dad and he let me know every day how useless I was.  Believe me, that is not the way I feel toward my son, but maybe a bit of that critical nature rubbed off and resides in me.  Perhaps it’s because I pushed myself hard to succeed and just find it difficult to deal with those who do not share my vision of success.  Perhaps it’s an unconscious feeling of unhappiness with where I find myself or the stress of living my life and I’m just a bully that takes it out on someone that’s weaker.  I don’t know, but it doesn’t excuse my behavior one little bit. 

I love my son. 

I love him just the way he is.

There are things I would like to see change with the boy, but those things shouldn’t affect how I show and verbalize my love for the kid.

He is my first-born child, my heir, my birthright, and I need to change my ways before it’s too late.  In really thinking about it, I don’t want him to be like me-- I want him to be better than me. 

It’s time for some major reexamination of the junk that comes out of my mouth.

He’s my son and he deserves it.

It’s time to dust off the forgotten LEGOs of my memory and be the Master Builder again.

He’s my son and he deserves it.

It’s time to use my words to build my boy.

He’s my son and he deserves it.

It’s not going to be easy, but how much of what’s important is?

He’s my son and he deserves it.

I love you, first-born child, and I’m sorry for my words. 

YOU’RE MY SON AND YOU DESERVE IT.

It’s time for me to build you a ship and help you soar.


5 comments:

  1. By the way, if you know me personally, I give you permission to check up on me to see how I'm doing with my words. More importantly, if you know my first-born son, I give you permission to check with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, Aron.
    The fact that you can and are willing to think through this, and come up with the idea that YOU have to change is simply amazing...most people would just keep on him until the tension was so much that misery is the only thing in the household. You're right, you have to build him up, eventually, he'll grow out of it, or maybe not...it doesn't matter...he is who he is, and with a father like you, to guide him, encourage him, protect him and LOVE him, he'll be the better boy/man for it. Someday, you both will look back on this difficult time, smile, hug and he will ask you for advice about raising his children. Now, this is coming from a woman who doesn't/couldn't have children, as so many people have reminded both John and myself through the years when we were actually asked our opinions about this or that, and when we gave it...the "well, you just don't know...you don't have children" came out of their mouths. So, please don't let the fact that I don't have children color your opinion of what I'm about to say... I'm telling you, it will be fine, and it will be fine because YOU will make it fine. With God's help...when you see him being "lazy", he is probably in his own world-inside his mind-creating, building, composing. When you see him "questioning" your choices, think about the fact that he is smart enough to know that he can question the norm, you...ideas...others, because that's the way his mind works. I'm just a washed up music educator, but...I know, you and your first born...will thrive together as father and son. Love and hugs to you, old friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Carolinn, you've hit it right on the head-- he gets soooo lost in his own head. That part I can totally understand as I was just like him in that respect. I'm very brain balanced and am both creative and concrete where he is very much right-brained and so naturally excels in his imaginative aspects. I really do love that about him, and I know that someday that will be his ticket to his particular brand of success. In the meantime, I will work on how I respond to how he responds and I know we will get through it.

      As for your opinion being discounted because you don't have children, what a ludicrous and insane thing for someone to say to you. My principal never had children, but years as an educator has taught her to understand children better than anyone I know. On the flipside, I've know too many folks with children that have made terrible parents. I really believe parenting is much more a matter of the heart than of biology, and knowing the sort of teachers and aunt and uncle you and John are tells me that you've got the heart for it in spades. Much love to you in return. :-)

      Delete
  3. There comes a time when you have to stop blaming others and/or your past for you current actions. Plenty of people have had bad things happen to them but they move on and take responsibility for their own actions. Also, maybe your son and others share the same high value or outlook on success but you choose not to recognize that because it is not the same vision of success you have. I hope that you really take the time to do what you say in these words so that you an be there more for your son, maybe take more responsibility for YOUR actions, learn to figure out better as to why you son reacts or does the things the ways that he does and take more time to just be there for him. I also hope that this blog entry is not just for an audience, praise from others and will be put into actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Anonymous, but you need to understand that I do not blame others or my past for how I am today. If that was the case, I wouldn't be making progress toward a better me, and I definitely am making that progress. My past and those who perpetrated against me most assuredly affected who I am today and still color the way I look at the world (in many ways, we are the sum of our memories), but I don't place blame on them. In fact, I have made amends with all of those who had a hand in my dysfunction. Today, I accept total responsibility for my actions and that is what drives me to be better. As for what others have been through and how they have moved on, they're not me and I'm not them; we each heal in different ways and at different paces and that's okay.

    I agree that my vision of success may not be the same as my son's (or what his may eventually become), and I am working on letting that go. In fact, as I stated, I don't want him to be like me but better than me, and that means excelling in whatever he chooses to do. Regardless, and I want be very, very clear about this, whatever the boy does or doesn't do in life, my love for him will never change and I make sure he knows that very well.

    Finally, I do not necessarily write for any audience, but if I can help anyone in any way by them reading my blog, that's a great thing. No, I write because it's a sort of therapy for me. I learn about myself when I write. I learn about my relationships when I write. I learn about healing and how to be a better me when I write. If you knew my son, you could ask him and I think he would tell you that his old man's been working hard the last few weeks and that things are better. Things. Are. Better.

    I guess I have helped someone in writing this. Two someones, in fact.

    ReplyDelete